Every 3rd Sunday of the month, the Lady’s Maid leads a tour of the baroque garden monuments of Tschifflick.
Meeting point for the tour is the hotel entrance at 14:30. A participant fee of 5 € can be paid on-site directly to the guide. Advance notification is not required.
The ducal Lady’s Maid leads you through the terrain and history of the baroque garden monuments of Fasanerie. During the one-hour walk according to the motto “the cherries of Tschifflick”, you hear the joys and sorrows of the bon vivant Leszczynski and the fateful story of his family: Lust for life, intrigue, longing and hope – more than a movie!
Garden structures and design elements are not static, they are subject to constant change. If care and cultivation are missing, then the garden design principles and original ideas will be lost. The first garden at “am Ehrbrunnen” was established in 1589 by Princess Magdalena of Jülich Kleve who loved nature. In the following period of the Thirty Years War, the garden was severely neglected and partially destroyed. Some elements of the design of this garden were possibly adopted by the landscape architect Eskil Johan Sundahl. It might have been that one of the pools and a part of the terracing was already present as part of the first garden. The Fasanerie has been preserved as a jewel of baroque horticulture and continues to be cultivated and maintained as such.
We have the Polish King Stanislaus Leszczynski to thank for the historical gardens of Fasanerie. His friend and mentor Charles XII granted him asylum in the Wittelsbach Duchy of Zweibrücken. Stanislaus built – in memory of his beautiful time spent in Bessarabia – a summer residence here and gave her the Turkish name Tschifflik. The paintings of King Stanislaus, his wife Katharina Leszczynskaya and two daughters Anna and Maria adorn the walls of the fireplace room. The elder daughter of Stanislaus and Katharina – Anna – died at a young age and was buried in the monastery of Gräfintal. The second daughter, Maria was married in 1725 to King Louis XV of France in Strasbourg, France. On December 11, 1718, King Charles of Sweden died a soldier’s death in Norway. The Duchy of Zweibrücken fell to the count palatine Gustav Samuel Leopold. Stanislaus then had to leave Zweibrücken. He found refuge during this time in Wissembourg in Alsace. His son-in-law granted him asylum and transferred the Duchy of Lorraine to him in the year 1735, and Stanislaus moved with his family to Nancy.
In 1715, the baroque core construction designed by the Swedish architect Sundahl was completed which, in the middle of the 18th century was expanded by the renowned courtyards designer Johann Petri into a landscape park.
The name Fasanerie still in use today originates from Duke Christian IV. After Stanislaus resettled in Nancy, most of the wooden buildings were cleared away. After 1740, Duke Christian IV von Zweibrücken created a large pheasant garden.
In order to establish a nearby recreation area, the city of Zweibrücken acquired the Fasanerie on January 1, 1897 from the State Stud Zweibrücken who received the gardens as a gift in 1801 from Napoleon Bonaparte.
The uniqueness of this horticultural monument lies in the preservation of the originally planned gardens of 1714 by the Swedish landscape architect Johann Erikson Sundahl. In 1756, the landscape architect Petri designed and created an extension to the gardens. The principle additions included a side garden with pavilions and a “tree hall” designed by the landscape architect Petri. In the further course of its history the gardens have been preserved and cultivated through renovations, but there have been no radical changes.
Today, these gardens with over 40 hectares outlined by an enclosure wall are home to the Romantik Hotel Landschloss Fasanerie, a wild rose garden, the historic baroque garden with pools, the Salian ruins of Ehrwoogburg from the early 12th century and the landscape garden with well established footpaths.